Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This News is Good News!

Today I had my cast sawed off - what an interesting (and loud and a little nerve wracking) experience!  The length of my leg hair and amount of dirt between my scaly toes made me shudder....other than that I was excited to have the cast off.  I can put weight on my foot but it was a little like walking on jello at first.  I'm planning on taking it slow...

Doctors orders are physical therapy 2 times a week for 6 weeks.  Physical activity I can start with walking on Monday, on a treadmill for as long as I can tolerate.  I can also do the stationary bike and elliptical trainer...don't have much access to a gym, but the college gym does have some of that equipment working, so I plan to be there bright eyed and bushy tailed on Monday morning!  I got a nifty new brace that helps with stability and sorta fits in my shoes...that will be the challenge mostly.

So I just weighed myself - I know, mid-day isn't the best idea...but I couldn't help it.  I have been on the scale in the last few weeks, but not easily and not accurately with the bulky cast on.  I've preparing myself mentally not to be disappointed that in 3 weeks I have probably only lost a pound or two...at least I haven't gained, right???  That's a big step in the right direction.  Drumroll...I weighed in at 242...so we're up to 43 pounds down!  I did measurements too (I do this monthly) and I have lost 42.5 inches total (measuring arms, calves, thighs, hips, upper stomach, belly button area, chest) only up a few small inches inch since my injury - this is a GREAT thing! 

I took some time to readjust some of my goals this week.  2010 is a huge year of goals for me.  I will be finishing my Bachelors degree in June, hoping to lose 100 pounds total, and running a 5k among other things.  If you had told me a year ago those would be my goals for 2010 I probably would have laughed.  Its amazing how your perspective can change in just 7 months.  My original "first" goal was to lose 50 pounds by my 10 year wedding anniversary, which is next week, March 25th.  Since I likely won't lose 7 pounds this week (although who knows I'm certainly motivated!)

So my new goals for weight loss are as follows:
*down 50 pounds by April 15th
*down to my pre-pregnancy weight (214) by June 27th
*down 100 pounds, the weight I was when I married Stephen by October 10, 2010

I have NO DOUBT I will reach these goals.  Injured or not, I am motivated to get myself back into losing regularly and well again.  I'm so pleased to not have gained and to have actually lost in these three weeks - it just shows that my eating is spot on! 

You know, people talk about goals all the time - how important it is to have them, blah blah blah...but I can really say that having a goal to work toward has been pivotal for me in this weight loss journey thus far.  Because looking at needing to lose 100 pounds is incredibly daunting.  And when things look like they are too challenging, I begin to shut down.  Like, completely.  I have abandoned so many things in my life that I probably could have done had I changed my focus to be on the small parts of the large goal rather than the hugeness and improbability of not reaching said goal.  I also would set completely unrealistic goals for things.  I am a hugely positive person...and I see sunshine and flowers when others see reality sometimes.  Giving myself over a year to lose 100 pounds makes the most sense for me.  Its coming off slowly.  After losing 43 pounds I don't have hanging skin everywhere...because I am toning at the same time.  A "quick" fix wasn't going to help me.  Counting every calorie I put in my mouth wasn't going to help me.  Short of a "biggest loser" intervention, the only thing I have and had to help me is my own will.  It was strong enough to eat crappy before, now it is just as strong to eat healthily 90% of the time.  And I love eating the way I do now.  More on goals and eating plans at a later date...lets just revel in the right now.  In my very happy day of news.  And in the sight of me reaching my newly adjusted goal on its new schedule.  Ah.  Life is good.

Now to go finish making the buffalo chicken sandwiches, spinach salad and baked french fries for dinner...

Progress!!!!

~Clara

No comments: