Sunday, June 19, 2011

Getting my Zig and Zag on...

Hola!  Here is my latest comparison photo:  June 2009 - June 2011, 94 pounds lost:


Things for me are quite busy but doing well.  I had a good weigh in this past Thursday, officially 94 pounds down again (ha).  Man, I can see 100 pounds down.  I'm almost there. Maybe soon?

So I'm researching a caloric intake method that has peaked my interest.  I've looked into it briefly in the past and then moved on...but the more I read, the more I'm convinced it is worth a try.

The goal is to Zig Zag your calorie intake to trick your body out of the starvation mode it goes into when you drastically cut calories.  I actually do this quite by accident - usually have a day I'm over during the week at some point; but I don't do it intentionally and not necessarily with the best food choices.  Here is what a Zig Zag week should look like for my weight, height and activity level:

Sunday 1536
Monday 1536
Tuesday 1844
Wednesday 1536
Thursday 1536
Friday 1690
Saturday  1536
















The theory behind it is that in order to build muscle, you have to add calories in, and in order to burn fat, you need to reduce calories.  So the average "dieter" reduces calories by alot to try to drop pounds but sacrifices muscle in the interim.




I actually think that this has been part of why my weight loss is slow.  That I'm building muscle at the same time as burning fat by not being crazy restrictive.  BUT I try to stay around 1400 calories/day and am not seeing the results I want to given how crazy active I am.  AND I don't always make the best food choices when I go over my goal.  One article I read suggested that instead of just eating more, maybe try adding a protein shake after a workout.  Novel idea - I just bought some new whey protein so great timing.




Really, my goal isn't to lose this last 30 pounds overnight.  Duh, right?  Instead I'd like to really understand how to continue building muscle and burning fat.  I want to really support my athletic ventures, get faster and stronger at running, and continue to see some beautiful muscles emerge. 

As much as I exercise, I also need to be sure I'm eating enough.  So here goes nothing.  I'm going to try this zig zag thing and see if it works for me.  I'm going to give it two weeks starting with today.  I'm hoping we see some real results, again, not looking for "fast" weight loss but good muscle building and fat burning is my goal. 

Will keep you posted.

~Clara





No comments: