Thursday, May 27, 2010

And Tumbling...and Tumbling..and Tumbling!

I think I've finally found my fat burning spot again...I hope to stay here for awhile.  I am down another two pounds to total 53 pounds down!  It was time to do measurements again too, and I'm down 48 inches.  It feels amazing.

This past weekend we had a big company picnic at a springs location.  Last year this would have been a big issue as far as what to wear.  It would have been an oversized t-shirt and baggy capris.  I'm excited to say I wore a cute pair of shorts and a tank top last weekend.  And I looked good.  Not amazing, but a way better version of my own self.  At the picnic, there were all types of temptations to overeat.  First of all, I had ordered 600 cookies for the event and they sat next to me at my desk at work the entire day Friday.  Seriously.  The entire day.  At least a half dozen of those bad boys would have been casualties if the "old me"  had been sitting at my desk.  But instead, it was the "new me" who had broccoli with her sandwich at lunch and really wasn't that tempted by a cookie that would probably not meet my expectations anyway.  The next day, we had a dessert contest at the picnic and a dozen desserts were entered.  I smartly asked 3 people besides myself to be the judges so I didn't have to try everything.  That went well.  By the time I had totaled up the results, welcomed everyone to the event, held babies and talked to employees and their families I realized I hadn't yet eaten.  I had some of the amazing fried fish that Hill's bbq does (it doesn't have much batter on it and has incredible flavor) a little bit of potato salad and baked beans.  I was completely satisfied.  When I left that day about two hours down the road I was hungry...so the large and yummy apple waiting in my bag was perfect and hit the spot.

I decided to get on the scale as soon as I got home and could not believe I was down another few pounds!  That felt amazing - two consecutive weeks of travel and I lost weight.  I think I finally have this eating/exercise thing figured out - for now.  I maintained my running schedule the entire time as well.

Speaking of running, I'm mid-way through week 8 of the Couch to 5k running program.  It calls for 28 minute runs with no walking intervals.  I had done ok with the 25 minute runs last week but I really wondered, how in the world will I get the extra 3 minutes on there?  I did the first one on Monday and it went fine.  Then yesterday I did day 2 and when the 28 minutes was up I was not quite to 2 miles so I kept going for another 5 minutes.  I ran for 33 minutes without stopping!  this is incredible from the girl who tired out walking to her car a year ago.  I love how the program really warms you up to running again.  It makes it incredibly easy to see successful results!

Rather than stay on the 28 mins for another workout, then 30 mins next week, I plan to instead add 3 to 5 minutes each run, as far as I can go, until I'm running the 5k distance without stopping.  I am a pretty slow running so far, so I know I will not be running 10 minute miles like the program expects by next week.  My first race is June 12th so I need to get built up to running the distance, then I'll work on the time.

It feels so great to be where I am right now.  I can really see changes in my figure and in how I feel.  I feel strong, and after I run I am so drenched in sweat it feels like I truly accomplished something.  Not to mention I thought at the beginning of this program I would probably not make it past week 4.  I can't believe I graduate next week.

Speaking of graduating (nice transitioning, today, eh?) I finished my coursework for my Bachelors degree last week!  I have my last semester exam, hopefully next week, and then I am DONE!  This is an amazing feat in and of itself.

Adding it to everything else going on with me and I'm a little bit overwhelmed to be honest, but in a good way.  I almost feel like I'm living outside of myself.  Part of me doesn't want to trust this new, goal-oriented me.  Because I might once again fail at this, right?

Absolutely not. Now that I've finished my degree no one can take that away from me.  Working on my health has carried me so far - and while I am human, fallible and imperfect, I also have developed a strength in these last nine months that I am not sure I even comprehend.

And if it isn't even strength, really, its just the determination to be a better version of myself.  A healthy, mature, educated, consistently supportive and loving person.  It seems that when my health is in check, and I'm doing well in my nutrition and exercise, that everything else falls into place.  My husband says I am happier and that makes him happy.  I'm sure it doesn't hurt that I look much better physically, but he's very careful about making comments about my appearance.  He called me beautiful at 285 pounds - man, this guy deserves a wife that weighs less than him!  He would tell you it doesn't matter.  I have a great support network in him and in my six year old who is ecstatic every time I lose more weight.  Who could ask for more than that?

I imagine the day of my race I will take some time that afternoon to really reflect on how far I have come.  I was determined to change my blueprint but I wasn't sure what that looked like.  Well, the plans are almost half done and I really like what the end result will look like.

In the meantime, what is built so far is enough to keep me motivated to continue.  Glimpses of where I will end up are keeping me excited about the future.

Look ahead...does your future excite you?  Can you see yourself accomplishing goals you've set?  I can and I must say...the view in the wake of the great wall of plateau tumbling down is pretty scenic.

~Clara

No comments: