Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Can't rain on my parade...

It's been a busy and crazy few weeks in my world.  Lots of work travel (every other week) and general craziness of trying to catch up on the house and family time while I'm at home.  Sigh.  Only a few more weeks of school left and our summer will begin.  I really can't wait.

Somehow in the midst of this craziness, I have still managed to keep up with my running program!  I can't believe I am in the middle of week 5 of the Counch to 5k running program.  Instead of running 3 times a week, I am running every other day, which is putting me on a fast track for the 9 week program.  Get it, fast track?  :D

Anyway my ankle is doing very well.  I splurged and got some great running shoes, the Asics Gel Nimbus.  They are way comfortable and super light.  I can definitely tell a difference running in them as compared to my cheap not well fitted for me shoes I began running in.  :)  You get what you pay for!

Speaking of running gear, I decided that running in baggy pants and long huge tshirts wasn't cutting it.  First of all, it is getting crazy warm outside and the bigger the clothes, the warmer I get.  I need all the air I can get out there!  So I got brave and bought a few racer back tank tops to wear with these very comfy but not baggy capri running pants.  I'm not doing the shorts thing...yet, anyway.  I can't tell you how great it feels to run in these clothes.  Do I look perfect?  Not hardly.  But I feel great.  And its much much cooler.  Plus, I feel more like an athlete.  And the tank tops have a "media pocket" for my mp3 player.  Functional and cute...love it!  Anyway, believe it or not, I feel way better about myself dressed this way then before.  I'll have to post a comparison picture so you can see the difference clothes that fit makes.  :)

I got excited when I found a "new" muscle on the front of my leg, my tibialis anterior.  It is becoming really defined thanks to carrying 236 pounds at a faster pace.  It was a nice realization and further comfort that my body is changing for the positive even if the scale isn't moving fast.

Good thing is the scale IS moving.  At it's own pace...so now we're at 236 pounds, I've lost one more pound.  49 total!  That is very exciting and motivating.  I'll tell you, hitting a plateau right before you hit a huge milestone really stinks, but that will make hitting the 50 pound mark that much more exciting!

I joined sparkpeople today - its a website (http://www.sparkpeople.com/) created by a couple who worked for ebay in its early days and have found themselves retired and rich - so they created this website to help people become more healthy.  It has all kinds of cool features that I'm just learning.  I can track my food there, my activity, my weight, everything.  There are boards and forums, so similar to Facebook you can sort of "friend" people and encourage others as well as receive encouragement.  I need all the help I can get, so I'm glad to have found this website.  Will keep you posted as I work on my profile more.  Oh - and one of my favorite parts is that there is a place to map routes - so I was able today to make a route around town that will be my 5k route!

Speaking of 5k, another fun and awesome milestone today - hitting day 2 of week 5 of the couch to 5k program!  That was awesome.  I can't believe I ran for 8 minutes straight - TWICE!  Do you really understand what that's like?  OK, if you aren't an athlete, get up, and jog in place for about a minute.  Are you tired?  Crazy, huh?  The Couch to 5k program (http://www.coolrunning.com/) is amazing and I LOVE the fan page on Facebook, its incredibly insightful and helpful.  I can go on there at any time and find someone who just completed the day I face tomorrow (running-wise) or encourage someone who is a week behind me.  It is so helpful. 

Friday I face a new challenge - the dreaded week 5/20 minute run.  I'm really excited about it.

My first race is June 12th - the Tomato Trot in Slocomb, AL.  I am getting excited...and will be way more excited after I kick this 20 minute run in the tail on Friday!

Happy Living!
~Clara

No comments: