Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Re-Calibrate That

Just like a car, every now and then our minds and outlooks need a tune up.  Things need to be calibrated, adjusted, and sometimes even repaired or replaced.

If I hadn't been making these adjustments or repairs along the way I would never have made it this far.

It's like over time, your mind (engine) gets clogged up and cloudy.  Unable to function the same way it has been throughout your journey.  Slowly becoming out of touch with what keeps you running.  I've come to realize that I need regular maintenance in order to continue losing weight successfully. 

And so here I am again.

In the shop.

Had a few days of travel for work and in several situations had extremely limited food choices.  This resulted in a torrid but brief affair with white flour, cookies and a milkshake.  I can't blame the milkshake on the travel.  But I have found one bad choice usually leads to another, then another, then another.

Same with good choices.  One good choice leads to another, then another, then another.

So today I'm getting a tune up on my food choices and recalibrating my food rules.  Here are the main rules that have made me successful:

1) Only eat whole grains.  No white bread, pasta or anything made with white bleached flour.  I way prefer wheat anyway.
2) Only eat desserts you love.  No dessert unless I really really want to try it...and then it needs to be a small serving.  No reason to try all these new and different cakes, cookies, etc., that I know I won't really enjoy. 
3) Make each calorie count. Eat foods that will be used for fuel - with my crazy workout schedule I need that fuel to make it through.  Empty calories do nothing for my body or my workouts.  Before I eat it, ask myself, will this help or hinder me?
4) Eat mindfully.  It's so easy to just eat mindlessly.  Eating should be a conscious effort...and just as conscious a decision.
5) Limited or NO processed foods.  Avoid foods that have ingredients that I can't pronounce without assistance.  Enough said...
6) Be picky!  It is completely OK to be picky about food.  Not "I'll only eat bacon" picky but I am not going to waste calories on foods I don't like or aren't good for me.  I'm going to turn my nose up at greasy food, white bread, processed food and desserts I don't love.  If I offend someone...oh well.  It's not about them.  THIS...this is about me.  If they love me they will understand.  Right?  Right.


So there it is - routine maintenance on my food mindset.  I feel like I've cleaned the slate.  Publishing it seems to help me make it happen when I need a tune up. 

Here's to moving in the right direction once again.  Refreshed.  Rejuvenated.  Unstoppable.

I am once again a force to be reckoned with. 

I dare you white flour.  Just try me.

~Clara

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You entered to win a copy of "Reshaping it all" at "Chats With and "Old Lady"! I wanted to let you know you have WON A COPY!!! Please e-mail me your mailing address and I will send it out to you asap!
Congratulations!

ClaraB said...

hi Gina,

Thanks for letting me know! I can't seem to see an email address for you anywhere however. Can you send it to me or tell me where to find it? Thanks! Clara